With over 10 million questions practised, we’re starting to get a fairly good idea of what makes the difference between success and failure!
Here are our top 5 strategies to help you pass the Numeracy Skills Test. You never know, they might just help you pick up a vital few extra marks on the day:
- Run through your 6, 7 and 8 times-tables a few times before you go in. This will get your brain into ‘maths mode’ and ensure you hit the ground running.
- In the Mental Arithmetic section, each question is read twice. During the first reading, try to note down all the key information, so that you can start working on it whilst the question is being read a second time (you might even want to take your earphones slightly off to help with this).
- Know your times-tables and speed shortcuts inside out. These timesavers can lead to quick wins, giving you a boost in the pressurised environment of the test.
- When doing the On Screen questions, before you submit your answer, force yourself to re-read the last line of the question. This frequently contains information about how you should present your solution (eg. give your answer correct to 2 decimal places).
- Leave Multiple Answer questions until the end – these are similar to multiple choice, except you are able to select more than one answer. Due to the greater number of possible answer combinations, you have a higher chance of making an error and losing a vital mark.
Remember, these simple strategies are no substitute for proper learning and practice. If you really want to make sure you’re ready, then sign up for Numeracy Ready, our Numeracy Skills Test Practice website.